Monday, December 7, 2009

Snow Day!!!

More like Snowed In Day! Literally.

It rained for a good portion of the night here, last night, and then suddenly it stopped. Well, this morning we woke up to snow everywhere! It's a beautiful sight. We do get snow at our house in the winter occassionally but it doesn't usually stick for too long... Well, as I'm typing this it's time for me to leave for work and there is no way my car will be making it up our driveway and out to the main road. It's still snowing now. So, no work for me today! (Yay!!!)

Anyway, in celebration of the snow I decided to make a wintery green smoothie this morning.



Pear, spinach, coconut meat, almond milk, vanilla rice protein powder, stevia, cinnamon.
Sprinkled with unsweetened coconut flakes and goji berries


(Haha! Brand placement...?)



Winter Wonderland Pear Smoothie



Ok, back to the warm insides of the house. It's cold out there!

Last night we had a fun dinner. It was a collaborative dinner. Myself, my boyfriend, and my boyfriend's mom, each made a dish.





Wine, fingerling potatoes, white asparagus, filet mignon, and my contribution:
Salad!
(If you knew me, you'd say "Duh" right about now)


"Braised" Greens with Mustard-grette

This salad is excellent. It tastes exactly like wilted spinach salad that is made with bacon, sugar, and cooked spinach. This version is easy, tasty, and healthy!

"Braised" Greens with Mustard-grette
(deliciously inspired by the book, The Raw Revolution Diet)

Mustard Dressing Ingredients :
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tbsp miso
  • 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tsp red onion, minced
  • 2 tsp agave syrup
  • 1 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard (or Sierra Nevada Stout & Stoneground, which I used)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Mix all of the dressing ingredients together in a large salad bowl. (Told you it was easy!)

Add about 6 cups of spinach and/or mixed greens into the bowl. Add in any extras that you would like. I added a couple of handfuls of dried cherries. Creative add ins: pine nuts, pecans, dried fruits, tomatoes, avocados, fresh tangerine slices, have fun with it!

Toss all to combine. Eat. Enjoy. Repeat. Super simple. Super healthy.

I don't normally eat much meat but when I do, it's a great cut of meat! And exquisitely cooked, a la Chef Boyfriend.

For dessert, I made a little something I like to call, (well, it tastes pretty close to) Snickerdoodle Balls!




 

These babies are made with soaked and sprouted buckwheat, cashews, agave, vanilla extract, lucuma powder, cinnamon, stevia, salt, all processed together. Then I rolled them into a ball and had them play in a little cinnamon. I don't have the exact measurements since I prefer the Taste and Add method. Pretty close to a Snickerdoodle cookie though. Not too sweet but definitely satisfied that after-dinner-sweets craving.

I hope everyone has a warm day and enjoy the snow if you have it!





4 running thoughts:

katie said...

YEAA for smoothies in the snow!


Check out my blog for -
Music
Food
Fitness
new GIVEAWAY

http://katiechangesforkatie.blogspot.com/

Pure2Raw Twins said...

I see that you have a Blendtec! Do you like it? I have a vita-mix though have been curious about blendtec products... love to hear your thoughts.

Lori said...

I LOVE my Blendtec!!! It's essentially a computer for the motor. You can set it to make smoothies, puree food, chop, knead bread, make ice cream, soups, etc. It does everything. The only drawback is that it does not come with a plunger like the Vita-mix does. Otherwise, it's the best thing I have ever purchased.

Pure2Raw Twins said...

Thanks for letting us know!!! We just might have to get one to try out :)

Post a Comment