Tuesday, November 24, 2009

You're the apple of my eye.

Well, you're really the raw apple crumble in my mouth! haha!

Sweets don't stand a chance against me!



So, the second photo was before I decided to make an actual topping to my apple crumble... but oh my, the crumble is GOOD.

Happy 2 days before Thanksgiving! Enjoy the recipe!

Raw (tastes liked cooked) Apple Crumble Pie
(based on a recipe by my favorite raw chef, Ani Phyo)

Filling Ingredients:
  • 4-5 cups apples (about 5 apples), thinly sliced
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1-2 tbsp cinnamon
Gooey sauce Ingredients:
  • 3 tangerines (or 1 orange, I only had tangerines)
  • 1/2 soft, pitted dates
  • 1/4 cup water
Mix the apple, raisins, and cinnamon together in a bowl and set aside.

Blend the tangerines, dates, and water in a blender until smooth.

Mix the gooey sauce into the apples and toss until well coated. Spoon all of your apple filling into a dish/pie pan/holding apparatus until crumble is ready.

This step can be done one day ahead of time to let all the flavors meld together and soften the apple slices.

Crumble top ingredients:
  • 1 cup walnuts
  • 1 cup old fashion oats
  • 1/4 cup yacon syrup
  • dash salt
In a food processor, process the walnut for a couple of second to break down a little. Add the oats and process again. This is subjective; you can make your crumble relatively smooth (I choose this) or chunky- this will determine how much to process the walnuts and oats.

When you have reached a desired consistency, add in the yacon syrup. Can add more or less depending on how sweet you want this, but the filling and gooey mix is pretty sweet already... Add in a dash of salt and you're good to go!

Taste the crumble to make sure it's to your liking (Mine was interesting tasting on it's own but when combined with the apple filling... oh my goodness, it was delicious.) Spoon crumble over your apple filling mixture and serve! Keep in the fridge for a couple of days (if it lasts that long).



Raw, vegan, healthy Apple Crumble Pie. (as a Campbell's Soup Commercial would say)
Mmmm Mmmm good!

1 running thoughts:

Pure2Raw Twins said...

wow looks amazing... can I have some? :) I love Ani Phyo .... great person and raw chef!

Post a Comment