Monday, November 30, 2009

I'm Back!

Happy Monday everyone! Yeah, I know... it's been almost a whole week since I last posted! Yikes! Sorry about that! I hope everyone had a fantastic Thanksgiving and weekend! I went home (3 hours from where I live now) and got to see my parents and sister. It was nice and relaxing.

To recap my Thanksgiving raw treats, I made the family a raw apple pie (from my recipe of the raw apple crumble) and Cafe Gratitude's Pecan Pie. Both were so good!






Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeecan Pie

I also got a delivery at work right before I left on the long drive to meet the family...





I know, I'm such a dork. I get excited about the little things in life.
From Dr-Cow Natural Living & Organic Foods, I received their Tree Nut Cheese Box that comes with five aged nut cheeses plus one nut cream cheese. Really, their good, but so odd. My favorite so far is the Cashew Cream Cheese, followed closely but the Aged Cashew Cheese with Hemp Seeds.


Green from the blue-green algae it's made with... only this one though. Told you it was odd!

Yum, yum! Raw aged cashew cream cheese on Ezekial bread.


While I was home I made my family a new recipe I found while being bored online... I jazzed up a recipe that I found on the internet, but for the life of me I cannot find it again to supply the source. Anyway, here is what was for dinner:


RunLori's Butternut Squash Casserole
(I really need to be more creative on my recipe names...)

Ingredients:
  •  1 medium butternut squash (or any other squash of choice)
  • 1 medium white onion (diced)
  • 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 cup bread crumbs (I used raw, gluten-free sunflower bread)
  • salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
  • goat cheese, raw nut cheese, or any other cheese you would like
Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Slice the squash in half, length-wise and remove the seeds. Place skin-side up on a baking sheet lined with tin foil and bake for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the squash is tender.

While the squash is baking, heat the coconut oil in a pan and saute the onion and garlic until onions are soft. Set aside.


When done, remove the squash from the oven and scrape out the insides, placing it into a casserole baking dish. Mix in the cooked onion and garlic, the bread crumbs or equivalent, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cheese of choice.

Place the casserole back into the oven and cook for another 10 minutes or until warmed throughout. Sprinkle with cilantro, green onions, or finely chopped parsley.




Get creative here! You can spice up the recipe by adding so many different spices. Cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, cumin, cinnamon (make it Mediterranean), the possibilities are endless.



This dish was served with a big simple green salad and roasted brussel sprouts (quite possibly my favorite veggie ever. At least when roasted!!!)

 




I hope everyone has a great Monday night and I will see you all in the morning!

1 running thoughts:

Pure2Raw twins said...

Glad to see you back. I have seen the makers of raw tree nut cheese, so glad you liked it. The food looks delicious! I am horrible with names too for recipes.

Post a Comment