Today is Thursday, and I am loving this short week.
I have been reading some past posts from Kris Carr's Crazy Sexy Life website. What a truly inspiring woman Kris is. Everyone should read some of her work. It's been a while since I had strolled over to her site, but she is one (of two) reasons that I got into eating completely clean, and mostly, raw foods. I was given her documentary to watch (Jenn D., you are my savior), and completely fell in love with the ideas and concepts behind (or right smack in your face!) her words. Crazy Sexy Cancer documents Kris' situation of being suddenly diagnosed with a rare and incurable cancer, showing her story of survival through nutrition and health; physically and spiritually. This film was revolutionary for me. After watching and absorbing her courage, strength, and determination, I knew that health would always be a vital part of my life. Sorry if this seems like a tangent, but nutrition, health, wellness (through exercise and eating clean, real foods) is so important to me and I want nothing more than to absorb all I can and share that with the world.
Anyway, I recommend that everyone watch Kris' doc. It's is a great film. It's even entertaining. Kris Carr is true, honest, and totally in-your-face blunt. I love it!
Speaking of wellness, last night I pulled out my dusty juicer and sliced up some unsuspecting veggies to create a rainbow health tonic. I forgot how much I love juicing (veggies... come on people...). So, into my juicer went one whole lemon, one carrot and three carrot tops (greens), one half a large cucumber, a good amount of ginger, one small green apple, and two celery stalks.
Frothy and beautiful
And soooooooo filling.
I almost didn't have room for dinner... but then I remembered what I had made...
Alright, I really, really, thought I was being original with this one, but after I tasted my masterpiece, I Googled, Hummus Soup, and Google decided to outdo me with 5,180,000 web options for hummus soup (0.50 seconds). Great. Oh well. It was totally new to me. So, without further ado, Run Lori's Hummus Soup!
Run Lori's Almost Hummus Soup
Ingredients: (all amounts are estimations. Have fun and throw in whatever you'd like)
- 2 cups uncooked chickpeas, soaked
- 2 tbsp extra virgin (untouched kind) olive oil (I think I'm funny)
- 1 sweet white onion, diced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4 cups water, fresh
- 2 cups water from cooking beans
- 1 tbsp vegetable broth seasoning (optional)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, fresh
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup Tahini (I LOVE this stuff so I added lots)
- Good amounts of (2 tsp) cumin, (1/2 tsp) coriander, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, freshly ground pepper, and salt
- Couple of shakes of paprika and saffron just for fun
- 3 cups spinach
- Parsley, chopped, for garnish
3. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes (if beans are not done by this point, as mine were not). When beans are soft and fully cooked, pour the chickpeas into the stock mixture. Cook for another 15 to 20 minutes.
At this point, you may mash or immersion blend your soup to desired "hummus" consistency.
5. Serve with fresh parsley
Pure2Raw Purple Kale Chia Flatbread (best flavor I've tried!) that I've been
Pretty bowl, huh.
My mom gave me a set.
And I just have to mention that the boyfriend loved the dish! Being half Arabic, he's entitled to like all hummus-y dishes. He said this might be the best thing that I have made. And I'm just going to take that as a compliment.
See you on Friday, my Bloggies!!!!!