Thursday, March 11, 2010

Green Weeks: Contagious and Disgusting

Today's blog will be written in two parts. One from today, and one from yesterday. There is a reason behind this. This reason will be evident when you read the part from today.

Green Weeks, Day Four
Written Wednesday: As I was catching up on some necessary (and slightly delayed) blog reads, I clicked on over to HEABs site. Turns out the blogsphere is the one transmitting the germs. Heather is sick too. Feel better soon, Heather! She's been battling her illness with a remedy found from blogger Tiffany. This remedy calls for a blended mixture of (LOTS of) lemon juice, (LOTS of) garlic, honey, onion, ginger, and cayenne pepper, with water. Sounds delicious and all but I think I may stick to juicing all of those things instead of blending them... I'm not sure how fantastic that tastes... but whatever helps, right? Hmmm, may just keep pesky coworkers (and vampires) away.

Sadly, my cold is taking away the delight of foods. I can't taste a thing. That's probably not so great since I'm the one making the green smoothies in the morning for myself and my boyfriend.... this morning's taste fine to me...
The Very Green Shake
  • 3 cups spinach
  • 1 cup fresh parsley
  • 1 banana
  • 1/2 cup frozen raspberries
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 2 heaping spoonfuls of ProGreens powder
  • 2 cups fresh coconut water (stay hydrated!)
  • cinnamon, cinnamon, and more cinnamon
  • Ice
  • Black beans may or may not have been present
Blend.
Birdseye view of the blender. Yum, cinnamon.

It was good... or so I'm assuming. Don't know how the boyfriend liked it, but I'm sure he drank it anyway.

Written Today: As my cold is still present, I decided to take care of it once and for all. I got home from work yesterday (after I wrote the above post) and pulled out a variety of veggies to juice, as I do every day. I opened my handy dandy Juicing Bible book and went to the Immunity Boosting Juicies section. One of them said to be very potent and great for strengthening the immune system. Well, that's exactly what I need! So I gathered and washed the necessary ingredients and began my journey into the unknown juice realm.
Celery, broccoli, apples, ginger, two giant garlic cloves, and half of a white onion
Sounds promising, huh?
WRONG.
Juicing Tip #1: NEVER juice half an onion. 
Juicing Tip # 53: Start out slow when juicing onions.

These little tips may have helped me out yesterday... if I would have known them...
Story continued though. I juiced all of the above and had myself a very large class of green
I drank about three good-sized gulps. It tasted... ok... and then...

My mouth started to salivate (sorry, graphic) and within 2 minutes of consuming the green poison, I was violently throwing up. My body wanted none of that stuff. 

Lesson learned. That juice was horrific. Won't be coming close to an onion for a while. Makes my stomach turn just thinking about it. But, to be completely honest, I do feel better today. It could be that I have been going to sleep at 8:30 pm every night. It could be that I have been juicing twice a day. It could be that the stupid cold is about over. Whatever reason, I'm happy to feel a little better.

And to end this very long post, I have to tell everyone that tomorrow I'm taking off work and heading up to Sonoma County to go wine tasting Friday, Saturday, and Sunday! I'm attending the 32nd Annual Barrel Tasting. There are hundreds of wineries participating. My boyfriend and I went last year and it was great. I love wine. 
But to keep up with the spirit of Green Weeks, I will be continuing to post. No drunk posts, I promise (or at least try).

Side note: Anyone watch the new House episode on Monday night??? It was about a blogger. She was obsessed with blogging. My boyfriend had to laugh. Obsessed? Me? Far from it. But blogging is just so much fun!


Stay healthy my friends!



7 running thoughts:

whatkateate said...

juicing an onion is so brave! im sorry you didnt love it. i would die for a juicer - some day!

Lori said...

Hi Kate! Yeah, lesson learned. Onions can be juiced...only in small quantities.
The juicer I have is not great but it does serve it's purpose. Someday you WILL get a juicer! Yay to that day!

Tricia said...

hope you feel better soon!

Lori said...

Thank you Tricia!!

Pure2raw twins said...

Oh no!! Glad to hear you are feeling better. We have juiced a spring onion before, it done alright, I agree start slow!

Have fun wine tasting...so jealous!!

carole thomas said...

I love the spinach drinks. I just don't make them. Never seem to have the ingredients. i know you'll flip when I say I've been using HERBILIFE for a week and a half and have lost over 5 lbs. My lunches and snacks are loaded with fruits and vegetable....carry on!

Unknown said...

Carole, I came within inches of a stroke taking Herbalife when it first came out. I know they changed some of the ingredients since then but I would stay away from that stuff!!!

Post a Comment