Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A little red, some carob, and yellow milk?

This morning the rain came down hard. As I lay awake in bed before the alarm went off, I listened to the wind blow hard against the house and the crashing of water drops tap on the windows. The storm outside continued as I made my way down the stairs to start my morning workout....

You like the intro to my day? Anyway, yes, I started my P90X Plyometrics workout three times this morning. Three times because I would get about five minutes into the actual workout, after the warm-up, and then the power would go out. But, third time's the charm. After my sweat-session, I blended up a giant spinach, frozen banana, chocolate hemp protein powder, cacao powder, vanilla, stevia, coconut water smoothie, and drove off to work in the rain. All of the streets and highways around here are flooded, so my morning commute was a bit slow. Before work I stopped off at the local laboratory to get my blood work done. Checking up on all my hormones, thyroid, and such.

Today I did have everything tested again. The last time I had blood work done was about 8 months ago... I have some hormone problems that I will talk more about tomorrow but for now... food!

Aside from getting drained of blood, today I did some uncooking and vegan baking. Take a look:

Vegan, Gluten-Free, Banana Carob Oat Cookies
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups pureed bananas
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup brown rice flour
  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup vegan carob chips
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In large bowl, beat together bananas, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla.
In another bowl, mix together flour, oats, cinnamon, and baking soda.

Add dry ingredients to the banana mixture, stirring only until batter is blended.
Fold in the carob chips.

Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls onto a nonstick baking sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes.


Then I made a creative and excellent drink to calm and cleanse the body. Turmeric Milk, recipe taken from yoga magazine, Yoga+ Joyful Living, helps to easy the stomach, aid in digestion and is a fantastic anti-inflammatory mixture. This sounds a little interesting and I'm sure you're thinking that the only recipes you've tried turmeric in is curry, but try it. I promise that you'll love it! My boyfriend even liked it!

Turmeric Milk
  • 2 cups almond milk (or other milk sub)
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • pinch of grated ginger root and cracked pepper
  • 1 cinnamon stick or good amount of ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp agave, or to taste


Heat the almond milk and all ingredients on stove, until very warm, or just before boiling, stirring continuously.


Enjoy this any time you need a healthy and warm treat!

That's it for now. More on today's lab results and my hormone sitch, tomorrow.
Have a great night!

1 running thoughts:

Pure2Raw Twins said...

OMG turmeric milk!!!! WOW!!!! Love it. How come we have not made or heard of this yet?!?! HAHA! Looks so yummy.

Post a Comment