Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Rock 'n' Roll San Jose 1/2 Marathon


Happy Tuesday!

This last Sunday, Oct. 4th, I participated in the Rock 'n' Roll San Jose 1/2 Marathon and it was awesome! This was my first ever race of any kind and I loved it! It was also my little warm-up for my big race this weekend... in case you've forgotten, I'm running my first full marathon this Sunday, Oct. 11th in beautiful Victoria, British Columbia. I'm nervous!! But back to the half marathon...

The Rock 'N' Roll half started in downtown San Jose and wandered throughout the streets of businesses, around neighborhoods, and down what would have been busy traffic areas. As we ran, all 9892 of us!!, we were cheered on by local school cheerleaders, fellow San Joseians, event volunteers, and those living around where we were running. There were families with lawn chairs set out, rooting us on, some even with cowbells! ha! It was great!

At each mile there was a different band set up blasting oldies, newbies, and cover songs. The day could not have been better!

I decided to take it easy on the run, since I would be doing double the mileage in one short week. But when I got to around mile 9 I had so much energy left and the support of the onlookers and the other runners provided me with a huge boost. I was able to quicken my pace from around 9 minute/miles to 8:15 minute/miles. My prediction time was 2:05:00. Here are my finishing stats (and very first PR's-personal records- to start a collections) :)

Lori Thomas #1713
Age: 24 Gender: F

Distance HALF MAR
Chip Time 1:54:51
Overall Place 2188 / 9892
Gender Place 553 / 5599
Division Place 52 / 415 <---- nice!!! Age Grade 57.3% Avg Pace 8:46 Total Race 9892 Total div 414 Total sex 5599 5 Km 27:39 10 Km 55:00 10 Mi 1:28:43 Not too shabby... although I may have to run another one soon to beat PR. :)







Until later,

Lori

0 running thoughts:

Post a Comment