Thursday, February 18, 2010

Almost Hummus Soup

Hi Cool You! How the heck are you doing this fine morning?

Today is Thursday, and I am loving this short week.

I have been reading some past posts from Kris Carr's Crazy Sexy Life website. What a truly inspiring woman Kris is. Everyone should read some of her work. It's been a while since I had strolled over to her site, but she is one (of two) reasons that I got into eating completely clean, and mostly, raw foods. I was given her documentary to watch (Jenn D., you are my savior), and completely fell in love with the ideas and concepts behind (or right smack in your face!) her words. Crazy Sexy Cancer documents Kris' situation of being suddenly diagnosed with a rare and incurable cancer, showing her story of survival through nutrition and health; physically and spiritually. This film was revolutionary for me. After watching and absorbing her courage, strength, and determination, I knew that health would always be a vital part of my life. Sorry if this seems like a tangent, but nutrition, health, wellness (through exercise and eating clean, real foods) is so important to me and I want nothing more than to absorb all I can and share that with the world.
Anyway, I recommend that everyone watch Kris' doc. It's is a great film. It's even entertaining. Kris Carr is true, honest, and totally in-your-face blunt. I love it!

Speaking of wellness, last night I pulled out my dusty juicer and sliced up some unsuspecting veggies to create a rainbow health tonic. I forgot how much I love juicing (veggies... come on people...). So, into my juicer went one whole lemon, one carrot and three carrot tops (greens), one half a large cucumber, a good amount of ginger, one small green apple, and two celery stalks.
Frothy and beautiful
 
And soooooooo filling.
I almost didn't have room for dinner... but then I remembered what I had made...

Alright, I really, really, thought I was being original with this one, but after I tasted my masterpiece, I Googled, Hummus Soup, and Google decided to outdo me with 5,180,000 web options for hummus soup (0.50 seconds). Great. Oh well. It was totally new to me. So, without further ado, Run Lori's Hummus Soup!

Run Lori's Almost Hummus Soup
Ingredients: (all amounts are estimations. Have fun and throw in whatever you'd like)
  • 2 cups uncooked chickpeas, soaked
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin (untouched kind) olive oil (I think I'm funny)
  • 1 sweet white onion, diced
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 4 cups water, fresh
  • 2 cups water from cooking beans
  • 1 tbsp vegetable broth seasoning (optional)
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice, fresh
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup Tahini (I LOVE this stuff so I added lots)
  • Good amounts of (2 tsp) cumin, (1/2 tsp) coriander, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, freshly ground pepper, and salt
  • Couple of shakes of paprika and saffron just for fun
  • 3 cups spinach
  • Parsley, chopped, for garnish
1. Throw those chickpeas into a pot and boil with enough water to cover. Cook until beans are soft, around 2-3 hours.
Meanwhile...
2. Heat oil in a large pot. Add onions and garlic, cooking for about 5 minutes. Add in carrots and saute until soft. To the pot, add fresh water and water from the beans (if the beans are done), veg stock, lemon juice, tahini, and all spices.
3. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes (if beans are not done by this point, as mine were not). When beans are soft and fully cooked, pour the chickpeas into the stock mixture. Cook for another 15 to 20 minutes.
At this point, you may mash or immersion blend your soup to desired "hummus" consistency.
4. Toss in spinach.
5. Serve with fresh parsley
I enjoyed this amazing soup with some Pure2Raw Purple Kale Chia Flatbread (best flavor I've tried!) that I've been hording saving for such an occasion. Drizzled with more tahini, the flatbread was a great accompaniment to the soup. Truly tasty dish. ;) If tahini, chickpeas, and well, hummus, wasn't glorious enough, then came along hummus soup. Ladies and gentlement, I have now lived life to the fullest. ;)
Pretty bowl, huh.
My mom gave me a set.
Thanks Mom!

And I just have to mention that the boyfriend loved the dish! Being half Arabic, he's entitled to like all hummus-y dishes. He said this might be the best thing that I have made. And I'm just going to take that as a compliment.

See you on Friday, my Bloggies!!!!!

3 running thoughts:

Pure2raw twins said...

I have never heard of hummus soup!! SO cheers to you ; ) It was so nice to talk to you today!!

Bekah said...

Um, this is GENIUS. Right?? Gah, I love hummus, and always want to eat it in mass quantities, so this sounds like the perfect solution!! Hummus soup. Must make. Soon. Kudos Lori!

Lori said...

Bekah- Yay! Glad you approve! And yes, hummus is just about the best thing on Earth! Mass quantities is always a great thing when it comes to hummus... Let me know how you like it!

Post a Comment